Lesson 40
- Last week at a dinner party, the hostess asked me to sit next to Mrs. Rumbold.上周在一次晚宴上,女主人请求我坐在伦博尔德夫人旁边。
- Mrs. Rumbold was a large, unsmiling lady in a tight black dress.伦博尔德太太是一位身材高大、不苟言笑、穿着一件紧身黑色连衣裙的女士。
- She did not even look up when I took my seat beside her.当我坐在她身边时,她甚至没有抬头。
- Her eyes were fixed on her plate and in a short time, she was busy eating.她的眼睛盯着盘子,不一会儿,她就忙着吃了起来。
- I tried to make conversation.我试着搭话。
- 'A new play is coming to "The Globe" soon,' I said.“一部新剧很快就要在‘环球剧场’上演了,”我说道。
- Will you be seeing it?你会看到它吗?
- 'No,' she answered.“不,”她回答道。
- 'Will you be spending your holidays abroad this year?' I asked.“你今年打算去国外度假吗?”我问道。
- 'No,' she answered.“不,”她回答道。
- 'Will you be staying in England?' I asked.“你会待在英国吗?”我问道。
- 'No,' she answered.“不,”她回答道。
- In despair, I asked her whether she was enjoying her dinner.绝望中,我问她是否在享受她的晚餐。
- 'Young man,' she answered, 'if you ate more and talked less, we would both enjoy our dinner!'“年轻人,”她回答道,“如果你吃得多一点,说得少一点,我们都会享受我们的晚餐!”