Lesson 37
- We have learnt to expect that trains will be punctual.我们已经习惯于期待火车准时。
- After years of conditioning, most of us have developed an unshakable faith in railway timetables.经过多年的磨练,我们中的大多数人已经对铁路时刻表产生了一种不可动摇的信念。
- Ships may be delayed by storms; flights may be cancelled because of bad weather; but trains must be on time.船只可能因风暴延误,航班可能因恶劣天气取消,但列车必须准时。
- Only an exceptionally heavy snowfall might temporarily dislocate railway services.只有一场异常的大雪才可能暂时中断铁路服务。
- It is all too easy to blame the railway authorities when something does go wrong.当某些事情确实出错时,去指责铁路部门实在是太容易了
- The truth is that when mistakes occur, they are more likely to be ours than theirs.事实是,当错误发生时,它们更有可能是我们的而不是他们的。
- After consulting my railway timetable, I noted with satisfaction that there was an express train to Westhaven.在查阅了我的铁路时刻表后,我满意地发现有一班前往威斯特海文的快车。
- It went direct from my local station and the journey lasted a mere hour and seventeen minutes.它直接从我的当地车站出发,旅程仅仅持续了一小时十七分钟。
- When I boarded the train, I could not help noticing that a great many local people got on as well.当我登上火车时,我禁不住注意到有许多当地人也上车了。
- At the time, this did not strike me as odd.在当时,这并没有让我觉得奇怪。
- I reflected that there must be a great many people besides myself who wished to take advantage of this excellent service.我思考到,除了我之外,一定还有许多人也想利用这项优良的服务。
- Neither was I surprised when the train stopped at Widley, a tiny station a few miles along the line.当火车在维德利站(沿线几英里外的一个小站)停下时,我并不感到惊讶。
- Even a mighty express train can be held up by signals.甚至一列强大的特快列车也会被信号灯阻挡。
- But when the train dawdled at station after station, I began to wonder.但是当火车在一站又一站慢吞吞地移动时,我开始感到纳闷。
- It suddenly dawned on me that this express was not roaring down the line at ninety miles an hour, but barely chugging along at thirty.我突然意识到,这列快车并不是以每小时九十英里的速度在铁轨上疾驰,而只是以三十英里的时速缓慢行驶。
- One hour and seventeen minutes passed and we had not even covered half the distance.一小时十七分钟过去了,我们甚至还没走完一半路程。
- I asked a passenger if this was the Westhaven Express, but he had not even heard of it.我询问一位乘客这是否是西黑文快车,但他甚至没听说过它。
- I determined to lodge a complaint as soon as we arrived.我决定一到达就提出投诉。
- Two hours later, I was talking angrily to the station master at Westhaven.两小时后,我正在西黑文火车站愤怒地同站长谈话。
- When he denied the train's existence, I borrowed his copy of the timetable.当他否认火车的存在时,我借了他的那份时刻表。
- There was a note of triumph in my voice when I told him that it was there in black and white.当我告诉他那上面白纸黑字写得清清楚楚时,我的语气中带着一丝得意。
- Glancing at it briefly, he told me to look again.粗略地看了一眼后,他叫我再看一遍。
- A tiny asterisk conducted me to a footnote at the bottom of the page.一个小小的星号引导我看到了页面底部的脚注。
- It said: 'This service has been suspended.'它说:“这项服务已经被暂停了。”