轻松练外语 logo轻松练外语
  1. 全部课程
  2. 新概念(第三册)
  3. Lesson 2

Lesson 2

  • Our vicar is always raising money for one cause or another, but he has never managed to get enough money to have the church clock repaired.
    我们的牧师总是在为这样或那样的原因筹集资金,但他从未设法筹集到足够的钱来修理教堂的时钟。
  • The big clock which used to strike the hours day and night was damaged many years ago and has been silent ever since.
    那口曾经日夜报时的大钟在许多年前被损坏了,从那时起就再也没响过。
  • One night, however, our vicar woke up with a start: the clock was striking the hours!
    然而一天晚上,我们的牧师惊跳着醒了过来:时钟正敲响着报时!
  • Looking at his watch, he saw that it was one o’clock, but the bell struck thirteen times before it stopped.
    看着他的手表,他看到当时是一点钟,但钟声在停止前敲响了十三下。
  • Armed with a torch, the vicar went up into the clock tower to see what was going on.
    牧师拿着手电筒爬上钟楼,想看看究竟发生了什么事。
  • In the torchlight, he caught sight of a figure whom he immediately recognized as Bill Wilkins, our local grocer.
    在火光中,他看见了一个身影,并立即认出他就是我们当地的杂货商比尔·威尔金斯。
  • ‘Whatever are you doing up here Bill?’ asked the vicar in surprise.
    “你究竟在这上面做什么,比尔?”牧师惊讶地问道。
  • ‘I’m trying to repair the bell,’ answered Bill.
    “我正在尝试修理这口钟,”比尔回答道。
  • ‘I’ve been coming up here night after night for weeks now.
    我已经连续好几周,每晚都来到这里。
  • You see, I was hoping to give you a surprise.’
    你看,我当时正想给你一个惊喜。’
  • ‘You certainly did give me a surprise!’ said the vicar.
    “你确实给了我一个惊喜!”牧师说。
  • ‘You’ve probably woken up everyone in the village as well.
    “你大概也把村子里的每个人都吵醒了。”
  • Still, I’m glad the bell is working again.’
    尽管如此,我很高兴铃铛又响了。’
  • ‘That’s the trouble, vicar,’ answered Bill.
    “那就是麻烦所在,牧师,”比尔回答道。
  • ‘It’s working all right, but I’m afraid that at one o’clock it will strike thirteen times and there’s nothing I can do about it.’
    “它运行正常,但我担心在一点钟时它会敲响十三下,而我对此无能为力。”
  • ‘We’ll get used to that, Bill,’ said the vicar.
    “我们会习惯的,比尔,”牧师说。
  • ‘Thirteen is not as good as one, but it’s better than nothing.
    ‘13不如1好,但总比没有强。
  • Now let’s go downstairs and have a cup of tea.’
    现在让我们到楼下去喝杯茶吧。’

© 2026 轻松练外语 版权所有

  • 联系我们
  • 隐私政策
  • 服务条款